Arkle Challenge Trophy Tips 2021 Day 1 (2.05pm): Back this outsider to chase home Shishkin
The Arkle Challenge Trophy provides a test for racing’s best national hunt chasers over the minimum trip of just under two miles and this race looks set to be a showdown between Shishkin and Energumene.
Put The Kettle On became the fifth Irish horse in the last six years to win this race, overcoming Fakir D’oudairies in what was not a vintage Arkle fixture.
The race is named after racing legend Arkle, who won the Cheltenham Gold Cup three times in the 1960s.
Nicky Henderson has a great chance to get back on the board in this race for the first time since Altior crossed the line first in 2017.
2021 Arkle Challenge Trophy Preview
This race normally throws up a superstar with the likes of Sprinter Sacre, Un de Sceaux, Douvan and Altior winning in recent years. 2021 could be another year where a superstar confirms his status as Shishkin looks to win the Grade 1 race.
This race pits together the best 2m novice chasers and the gallop is always fast and furious. It is one of the better races for betting on favourites during Cheltenham week so is Shishkin your idea of a Cheltenham Festival banker?
Arkle Trophy Tips
The next race is the Arkle, a novice Chase run over 2m. It is disappointing that we lost Irish star Energumene from this race last week but it still appears to be a decent contest. Shishkin heads the market, with Allmankind in as second favourite. Captain Guinness could reward each-way punters as he will appreciate the better ground here and he’s a horse that’s always been held in high regard. He was travelling well in the Supreme last season when brought down 2 out and his run last time out behind Energumene on deep ground wasn’t a bad effort at all.
However, I expect SHISHKIN to get the job done here. Allmankind will go off like a wild cat in front and I think the class of Shishkin will reel him in in the home straight. He’s a class act and has done nothing wrong over fences this season. He hasn’t beat much but he won the Supreme Novices Hurdle last season despite a lot going wrong in the race which shows the class this horse has. He can follow up by winning the Arkle just like Henderson’s 2m star Altior did.
FORECAST – 1. SHISKIN 2. CAPTAIN GUINNESS
£20 Risk Free First Bet (£20 cash refund if you lose)CLAIM!
Arkle Trophy 2021 Free Bets
Upto £100 in Bet Credits for New Customers
£5 free bet for every race on the card (7 races) when you bet £10
Bet £10 get a £30 free bet & 60 free casino spins
Bet £10 get £30 in Free Bets
Arkle Trophy Trends
- Age – 11 of the last 12 winners were aged 6 or 7
- Price – 6 of the last 12 favorites have won, 9/12 winners were in the top 3 in the betting
- Last Run – 9 of the last 12 winners ran within the last 51 days, 11/12 won on their last start before Cheltenham
- 3/12 winners ran in the Arkle Novice Chase (Leopardstown) on their last run, 3 of the 3 won
- 2/12 winners ran in the Game Spirit Chase (Newbury) on their last run, 2 of the 2 won
- Previous Course Form – 11 of the last 12 winners had at least 1 run at Cheltenham previously, 6/12 had at least 1 win previously at Cheltenham
- Previous Distance Form – 9/12 winners had at least 5 previous runs over 15-17 furlongs, 8/12 had at least 3 wins over 15-17 furlongs
- Previous Hurdle Form – 12/12 winners had at least 4 runs over hurdles, 10/12 had at least 2 wins over hurdles
- Previous Chase Form – 11/12 winners had at least 2 previous chase runs, 12/12 winners had at least 1 chase win, 8/12 had at least 2 chase wins
- Rating – 10/12 winners were rated 151 or higher
- Graded Wins – 10/12 winners had at least 1 previous win in a grade 1 or grade 2 race
- Season Form – 11/12 winners had at least 3 runs that season, 12/12 had at least 1 win that season, 8/12 had at least 2 wins that season.
Arkle Challenge Trophy Last 10 Winners
|2010||Sizing Europe||A E Lynch||Henry De Bromhead|
|2011||Captain Chris||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs|
|2012||Sprinter Sacre||Barry Geraghty||Nicky Henderson|
|2013||Simonsig||Barry Geraghty||Nicky Henderson|
|2014||Western Warhorse||Tom Scudamore||David Pipe|
|2015||Un De Sceaux||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2016||Douvan||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2017||Altior||Nico de Boinville||Nicky Henderson|
|2018||Footpad||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2019||Duc Des Genievres||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2020||Put The Kettle On||Aidan Coleman||Henry De Bromhead|
Arkle Trophy 2020 Result
1st – Put the Kettle On (16/1)
2nd – Fakir D’oudairies (3/1)
3rd – Rouge Vif – (9/1)
4th – Global Citizen (33/1)
Arkle Trophy FAQs
Shiskin in the 10/11 favourite and Energumene is 9/4 in the latest Arkle betting odds and our prediction for the race is Shishkin to win.
Tuesday 16th March, 1.55pm. The Arkle is the second race of the Cheltenham Festival.
Yes. Visit our Cheltenham free bets page and see all the latest sign-up offers, promotions and price boosts for new and existing customers at Cheltenham.