Mares Hurdle Betting Tips 2023 (Tuesday 4.10pm) – The Close Brothers Mares’ Hurdle Race (Grade 1)
The Mares Hurdle has had some dramatic finishes in recent year’s and this year could be no different, with golden girl Rachael Blackmore set to ride the legend that is Honeysuckle in what is likely to be her final race.
The races takes place after the Champion Hurdle on day 1 of the Cheltenham Festival with an off-time of 4.10pm.
Mares Hurdle Tip – Brand Love to see off Honeysuckle
- Brandy Love (Mares Hurdle)
- Current Odds – 5/1 with bet365
BRANDY LOVE is the horse I’m backing for the messiah that is Willie Mullins. Now, we won’t be getting the 25/1 I had her at for last year’s Mares Novice hurdle (which still haunts me) but I think she is the most likely winner of the race.
This is definitely her target (how often can we say that about a Willie Mullins horse?) and if she can get to the start unscathed (no stone bruise the morning of please) then she will go off a lot shorter than she is now.
Her form of winning the Grade 1 EBF Mares Novice Hurdle Championship final at Fairyhouse and in doing so giving an 8-length beating to Cheltenham Mares Novice winner Love Envoi is as strong as she could have shown. That performance was even more impressive when you take into account her tendency to jump left and take a disliking to right-handed tracks. I expect her to be 5-10lb better on a left-handed track.
Epatante is the current (4/1) fav and you can argue whether she’s the right favourite or not. Impressive over 2m4f at Aintree the trip looks fine for her & with her stablemate Constitution Hill favourite for the Champion Hurdle it looks like she will be campaigned with this race in mind.
Last year’s winner Marie’s Rock is very good though and would be a huge danger if lining up here again. The form of her 2022 win is strong and she only strengthens that form with her win at Punchestown when brushing a side Epatante and Stormy Ireland. Nicky Henderson has hinted a couple of times though that she could be stepping up in trip to 3m which could potentially aim her at the Stayers Hurdle (maybe to split her & Epatante).
Telmesomethinggirl has been confirmed to go novice chasing by trainer Henry De Bromhead & with The Queens Brook disappointing first time out, the race all of a sudden lacks the depth of this year’s renewal.
Brandy Love will be aimed at the race and with her form from last season and the potential to be even better and progressive, I think shes a great bet for this.
Mares Hurdle Trends
- Age – 9 of the last 12 winners were aged 5-7
- Price – 5 of the last 12 winners were favourites, 10/12 winners were in the top 3 in the betting
- Last Run – 10/12 winners won on their last run before the Mares Hurdle, 8/12 winners ran within the last 52 days
- Previous Course Form – 8/12 winners had at least 1 previous run at Cheltenham, 4/12 had at least 1 previous win at Cheltenham
- Previous Distance Form – 12/12 winners had at least 2 previous runs over 19-21 furlongs, 11/12 winners had at least 3 previous runs over 19-21 furlongs, 12/12 had at least 1 previous win over 19-21 furlongs, 10/12 winners had at least 2 previous wins over 19-21 furlongs
- Previous Hurdle Form – 11/12 winners had at least 6 previous runs over hurdles, 11/12 had at least 3 previous wins over hurdles
- Rating – 9/12 winners had a rating of 148 or higher
- Graded Wins – 10/12 winners had at least 1 previous win in a Grade 1-3 race
- Season Form – 7/12 winners had at least 2 previous runs that season, 7/12 winners had at least 1 previous win that season
Mares Hurdle Last 10 Winners
|2009||Quevega||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2010||Quevega||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2011||Quevega||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2012||Quevega||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2013||Quevega||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2014||Quevega||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2015||Glens Melody||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2016||Vroum Vroum Mag||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2017||Apple’s Jade||Bryan Cooper||Gordon Elliott|
|2018||Benie Des Dieux||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2019||Roksana||Harry Skelton||Dan Skelton|
|2020||Honeysuckle||Rachael Blackmore||Henry De Bromhead|
Mares Hurdle 2023 Free Bets
Bet £5 get £20 in Free Bets Straight Away
Bet £10 get £30 in Free Bets
Bet £15 on a Horse > get a £15 Free Bet
50% Bonus on your First Deposit up to £50
Bet £10 get £40 in Free Bets
✅Best odds Guaranteed
✅Existing Customer Offers