County Hurdle Tips 2022 – Preview, Odds and Trends for the Cheltenham Festival Day 4, 1.55pm
The Randox Health County Handicap Hurdle is a race run just over two miles with eight hurdles and can be a stepping stone on to the Champion Hurdle.
In the last six years, this race has only been won by two different trainers, both Dan Skelton and Willie Mullins have three victories each in this time.
Skelton won the race in back-to-back years with Mohaayed in 2018 and Ch’tibello in 2019.
County Hurdle Betting Tip
Dan Skelton is an excellent target trainer and has a great record in handicap hurdles, especially this race having won it 3 times in the last 6 years and it is a horse from his stable that I like here. WEST CORK has been targeted for this race since winning The Greatwood Hurdle here at the November meeting.
Off the track for 631 days prior to winning the Greatwood, he beat Champion Hurdle hope Adiago and a host of other good horses. The form of that race is astonishing and by far the best handicap hurdle run this season. A number of horses in behind West Cork that day have won a mix of big handicaps and graded races.
The last day he had the bounce factor and blew out whilst finishing further down the field in the Betfair Exchange Trophy at Ascot in December. He has since been left for this and I’m sure his trainer will freshen him up and get him to peak for the festival. There could be 1 in here from Ireland that is a graded horse and be too good for him (the main worry would be State Man off 141) but he has lots of boxes ticked for this race and he has a huge chance.
WEST CORK (8/1)
Bet £10 get £50 in Free Bets for new customersCLAIM!
Cheltenham Free Bets
Bet £10 get a £15 Free Bet
50% Back of First Day Losses up to £25 Free Bet
Deposit £10 get £30 in Free Bets STRAIGHT AWAY (promo code TAG30)
Bet £10 get £50 in Free Bets for new customers
Bet £10 get £20 in Free Bets
Bet £5 get a £20 Free Bet
Bet £5 get £30 in Bonuses
Bet £10 get £20 in Free Bets
County Hurdle Trends
- Age – 9 of the last 12 winners have been aged 5 or 6.
- Price – 1 of the last 12 winners have been favourites/joint favourites, 3/12 winners were in the top 3 in the betting.
- Weight – 9/12 winners weighed 11st 1lb or less.
- Last Run – 3/12 winners won on their last run before the County Hurdle, 8/12 winners ran within the last 72 days.
- Previous Course Form – 8/12 winners had at least 1 previous run at Cheltenham, 1/12 winners had a previous win at Cheltenham.
- Previous Distance Form – 11/12 winners had at least 3 previous runs over 15-17 furlongs, 12/12 winners had at least 1 win over 15-17 furlongs.
- Previous Hurdle Form – 9/12 winners had at least 5 previous runs over hurdles, 12/12 winners had at least 1 previous win over hurdles.
- Rating – 12/12 winners were rated 134 or higher.
- Season Form – 11/12 winners had at least 2 runs that season, 8/12 winners had at least 1 win that season.
County Hurdle Recent Winners
|2009||American Trilogy||Ruby Walsh||Paul Nicholls|
|2010||Thousand Stars||Katy Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2011||Final Approach||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2012||Alderwood||A P McCoy||Thomas Mullins|
|2013||Ted Veale||Bryan Cooper||A J Martin|
|2014||Lac Fontana||Daryl Jacob||Paul Nicholls|
|2015||Wicklow Brave||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2016||Superb Story||Harry Skelton||Dan Skelton|
|2017||Arctic Fire||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2018||Mohaayed||Bridget Andrews||Dan Skelton|
|2019||Ch’tibello||Harry Skelton||Dan Skelton|
|2020||Saint Roi||Barry Geraghty||Willie Mullins|
County Hurdle Result 2020
1st – Saint Roi (11/2)
2nd – Aramon (8/1)
3rd – Embittered (14/1)
4th – Buildmeupbuttercup (16/1)
Cheltenham Festival Day 4 Tips
|3.30pm||Minella Indo & Toronado Flyer||5/1 & 12/1||Read|
|4.10pm||Bob and Co||8/1||Read|